David Irwin, MD
9 am-1 pm
To schedule an initial evaluation call Dr. Irwin directly at 240-200-5401 ext 5
Dr Irwin is not currently accepting new patients
David Irwin MD is a board-certified psychiatrist and has been practicing psychiatry in Montgomery County Maryland for over 35 years. Extensively trained in the field, he founded and was the Medical Director of the Shady Grove Psychiatric Group in Gaithersburg Maryland for many years. In that multi-specialty group practice, he provided adult and adolescent psychiatric services. He also served as the Chairman of the Department of Psychiatry at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital, where he performed numerous psychiatric consultations. After many years of operating his practice, he decided to close his group practice and relinquish his administrative duties. He joined Sequence Counseling and Consulting Services in 2017, whose founding director was once a therapist at the Shady Grove Psychiatric Group.
Sequence is delighted to have a medical provider of Dr. Irwin's experience and knowledge to deepen our services offered. Dr. Irwin is pleased to focus on continuing his career of providing outstanding psychiatric care to his patients.
As a Sequence provider David Irwin, MD offers the complete scope of psychiatric services to older adolescents, adults and geriatric patients. He treats the entire spectrum of psychiatric illnesses, with a special interest in:
- Bipolar Disorder
- Panic Disorder
Dr. Irwin is warm, compassionate and very invested in creating a positive relationship with his patients. He sees individuals for an initial 60-minute Psychiatric Diagnostic Evaluation and offers follow-up medication management sessions (15-30 minutes) as needed. He will in some cases provide on-going psychotherapy services, as his training includes psychodynamic, analytically-oriented psychotherapy. At Sequence Dr. Irwin serves as a member of the peer supervision team, sharing his consultation skills, medical knowledge, therapeutic insights and sense of humor with the Sequence counseling associates.
He spends his free time with his children and grandchildren, travels with his wife and greatly enjoys the cultural opportunities of the Washington Metropolitan area.
- BA, Biology, Northwestern University, Evanston Ill.
- MD, Case Western Reserve University, School of Medicine, Cleveland OH
- Psychiatry Residency, Walter Reed General Hospital, Washington DC
- Group Psychotherapy Training Program, Washington School of Psychiatry, Washington DC
- Board Certified in Psychiatry by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Honors, Recognition & Accomplishments:
- Elected to Beta Beta Beta National Biology Honorary
- Washingtonian Magazine "Top Doctor" designation 1993, 1995, 1999, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012
- Washington Consumer's Checkbook "Outstanding Physician Specialists" 1998, 2003, 2007, 2011
- Life Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association
- Former Chairman of the Department of Psychiatry at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital